Rater Training and Certification
Raters administering the Columbia-Suicide Severity Rating Scale (C-SSRS) are not required to have a background in clinical psychology, nursing, psychiatry, or similar fields. Training in the administration of the scale is recommended for all academic research and is typically required for commercially sponsored trials. If required, a rater’s training certificate is valid for two years or for the duration of an ongoing trial in which the scale is administered continuously.
This website also provides researcher-related information on:
The Project has a separate webpage with specific information about the use of the C-SSRS in research funded by pharmaceutical companies (including licensing requirements).
Every training mode includes a 30-minute instructional video. Some also include an optional 8-question self-assessment.
We currently offer the 30-minute training video in the following languages, with variations for specific countries as noted:
- Chinese (Mandarin only)
- Dutch (for Belgium and Netherlands)
- English (for the U.S., South Africa, and internationally)
- German (for Austria and Germany)
- Spanish (for the U.S. and Mexico)
Web-based training is available through our virtual training campus. To gain access and complete the training, do the following:
- Log in to the training campus portal. First-time users must register.
- Click on “My Activities.”
- Under “Available,” select “Enroll Now” for the training module in your preferred language. Do not choose the RFMH-Z01 training module for the screener version.
- Under “Assigned,” click on the training module you enrolled in to expand the view, and then select the hyperlinked module name to load it.
- After viewing the training module, close the window and complete the case study questions to receive a certificate.
The virtual training campus does not work with some versions of Internet Explorer. Please use Firefox or Chrome if you encounter difficulties.
To download a 30-minute video for use in individual or group training:
- Visit our training video library.
- Select a language-specific training folder.
- Select the image of the training video.
- For an optional 15-minute preview of the video before downloading, click on the play button.
- Click on the download button in the upper-right corner and choose “direct download” or “save to my Dropbox.”
If you are experiencing trouble playing media files, please download the VLC media player.
- Research programs that cannot conduct internet-based training may contact us to obtain one training DVD per language.
- Please provide your name, mailing address and country, phone number, and desired training languages.
- The Columbia Lighthouse Project uses FedEx to provide timely shipments, but please allow some time for us to process your request.
There are two ways to obtain a certificate:
- Once a rater completes the case study questions on the training campus, a certificate will be automatically generated with the rater’s name and date of training. This certificate may be accessed on the training campus at any time.
- For training that was completed using a downloaded video or a DVD instead of the training campus, raters may visit the training campus website to complete the case study questions and obtain a certificate. Select the training module in your preferred language (do not choose screener training). Skip the training video by closing the window, and then complete the case study questions.